Thursday, March 4, 2010

Not all artists are starving

I attended the "Not all artists are starving" event on Tuesday.
It was at the university club, with 7 or 8 speakers in the art world, most Hofstra alumni. I was really excited to hear what artists today had to say about getting jobs, graduating Hofstra.
They all spoke about the last 5-10 years of their life and it was very scary, but inspiring. They all have about the same message: don't give up on your dreams, stay determined, take the unexpected opportunities because you never know where they may take you.
I got to meet and speak to the two Amy's that attended. Amy, Rick's wife (I forgot her last name) but she works for getty images and studied photography at Hofstra. She deals with getting the advertiser and the artist together to get a great ad or image. Her job sounds like something I'd like to do. Amy Dresser, who is now in LA, is an amazing photo retoucher and is very popular and talented. She was really cool and down to earth, and a pleasure to meet.
I look forward to the next decade of my life because of all the crazy, unpredictable things that will happen to me as an artist.

Overall, the event was a hit. More of these things should take place at Hofstra.
Thanks Emily!
Newsday posted an article

No comments:

Post a Comment